Tuesday, February 26, 2013

This journey begins

Hello, and welcome to my blog, To Travel Hopefully!  I've been interested in entering the blogging world for quite some time, but kept putting it off because I didn't know where to begin.   There are so many niches out there, and while I clearly fall into some I don't feel as though there is a specific area that I can devote a blog to.  For example, I've been following a vegan diet for almost five years but do not feel that I have the authority to give nutritional advice.  I also enjoy cooking and baking, but do not create my own recipes.

But then I realized that I don't need to have a definite path.  Nor do I need to reinvent the wheel.  Instead, I can share the things that impact me in some way.  Inspirational quotes, photos, comics, etc.  Anything that makes me think, or simply makes me smile.  Nothing is more significant than everyday life, because we are composed of those everyday experiences.

One of my biggest challenges is in just letting go.  As time goes by, though, I'm learning that it's okay not to have all of the answers.  That things will work out the way that they're supposed to, when they're supposed to.  And this blog will also take the direction that it's supposed to take.  I therefore decided to name it after a quote that I really relate to, by Robert Louis Stevenson: "Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour."  Life is about enjoying the journey, not planning the end.  It's wonderful and important to have goals and to strive for greatness, but they should be stepping stones to further goals rather than endpoints.  I invite you to join me on this journey that is life.  Because Steven's quote is universal, and echoes an earlier Taoist sentiment: "The journey is the reward."

No comments:

Post a Comment